Hearing loss is a sneaky condition that develops slowly over time, and people don’t always realize what is happening until the condition is advanced. When hearing loss is serious enough to affect a person’s quality of life, it is time to get help. Once hearing loss is diagnosed, it can be treated and a person can hear again and improve their daily life. People in Ohio have options to improve their hearing.
The Advantages Of Treating A Hearing Problem
If a person suspects they have hearing loss, or if their loved ones tell them they have a hearing problem, there are ways to have their hearing examined at Hearing Health Solutions, including an online hearing screening. Hearing loss can affect all parts of a person’s life, including communication, friendships, jobs, and safety issues. A highly trained audiologist can help with hearing loss, ringing in the ears, and confusion caused by not hearing well. Some benefits of getting help include the following.
- Being able to hear and take part in conversations even in crowded rooms.
- Being able to communicate better with co-workers.
- Enjoying the voices of children and grandchildren again.
- Hearing the sounds that mean danger and staying safer.
- Being able to enjoy listening to the radio, phone conversations, and watching TV without having them at high volume.
But, it is necessary to undergo testing and find solutions to improve hearing.
What Type Of Testing Is Needed?
There are comprehensive hearing tests to determine the type and extent of a person’s hearing loss. these tests include physical exams, overall screening tests, App-based tests for hearing loss, tuning fork-based tests, and audiometer tests. This combination of tests can narrow down the hearing problem and help to design a hearing solution.
Options For Hearing Loss Treatment
Depending on the reason for hearing loss, the extent of hearing loss, and other factors, there are solutions that may include:
- Removing built-up earwax to ease hearing loss. Doctors use a suction tool or a tool with a small loop at its end to remove wax deposits.
- Some types of hearing loss require surgery to correct. Thwy include ear abnormalities, reoccurring infections, and fluid build-up in the ear.
- Hearing aids help people with some type of damage to the inner ear causing hearing loss. There are many choices of hearing aids.
- Cochlear implants help people with a severe loss of hearing. The implants are different than hearing aids because they bypass damaged parts of the ear and stimulate the hearing nerve.
These solutions must be chosen with the help of hearing professionals.
Living Better With Hearing Loss
No man is an island, and asking for help from family, friends, and co-workers can make a big difference. In addition to getting medical help, it is important to let others know about your hearing loss and to take a few simple steps for better communication. Tell everyone about the hearing loss and ask them to speak clearly and to have your attention before speaking. Position yourself to face the person speaking, and turn off devices creating background noise.
There are devices to help people hear better, such as TV listening systems, phone amplifying products, smartphone and tablet applications, and other products and strategies to make hearing easier. Hearing aids are constantly being improved, and more insurance companies as well as some Medicare Adantage plans are covering hearing aid costs.