After you have your wisdom teeth removed, you might be wondering what you can drink. While the answer to this question largely depends on your dentist’s instructions and recommendations, certain drinks are generally better than others. If you want to know which drinks to avoid after wisdom teeth removal, this blog post is for you! Here are some of the best drinks for drinking after having your wisdom teeth out: Water, Tea, Sports Drinks, Milk
can you drink soda after wisdom teeth removal?
Drinking Soda After Wisdom Teeth Removal Can Cause Tooth Decay
Soda after wisdom teeth removal is never a good idea. While the idea of drinking soda is tempting, it will only make your mouth more acidic. This leads to tooth decay and other dental problems.
What Can I Eat After Wisdom Teeth Removal?
- Avoid high sugar foods like sodas, candy, and pastries.
- Avoid acidic foods like tomatoes, oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit juice.
- Eat soft foods like yogurt, mashed potatoes, soups, and broths
- Avoid hard or sticky foods like apples, carrots, bananas, and pretzels
- Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
- Wait one day before using a straw
How Long Do I Need To Wear The Mouth Guard?
It depends on the type of tooth extraction. It is best to wear it for at least 6 hours after the extraction.
- If a simple extraction was done, you should use a mouth guard for 4-5 days.
- If it’s a partial extraction, you should wear a mouth guard for 8-10 days.
- Typically, the mouth guard is worn for up to 24 hours. Some people choose to wear it for longer and others prefer to wear it overnight only.
What Are Some Risks Involved With Wisdom Teeth Removal?
- Infection occurs in about 1 out of every 100 cases where a wisdom tooth is removed and this infection can lead to abscess formation or even death if not treated.
- Numbness in the mouth after the procedure is complete. This is normal and should go away within a few days of the procedure.
- Bleeding after wisdom teeth are removed and some people will have bleeding that goes on for several weeks after surgery.
What Drinks Are Recommended?
You should drink plenty of water after having your wisdom teeth removed. Water helps to wash out any food particles in the mouth and prevents dryness. In addition, if you do not drink enough water, you risk getting dehydrated.
If you are feeling up to it, herbal tea is a good choice for drinking after your wisdom teeth extraction. This will help with inflammation and soreness, and can even reduce the risk of infection.
Sports drinks are a great option for drinking after your surgery because they replenish lost fluids from sweating during the procedure.
While many people will not be able to stomach anything other than water or sports drinks immediately following their surgery, dairy products like milk or yogurt are recommended as they contain calcium which is vital for healing bones and tissue in the mouth.
What Are The Advantages Of Wisdom Teeth Removal?
- Wisdom teeth can cause problems and pain if they are not removed or they grow in the wrong place. Removing wisdom teeth can reduce pain and discomfort by fixing problems caused by wisdom teeth and avoiding future problems as well.
- Wisdom teeth can cause gum disease, which is a condition that causes your gums to become inflamed, irritated, and swollen because of bacteria in your mouth that your body cannot get rid of. This is why it is important to remove wisdom teeth as soon as possible since gum disease caused by these extra teeth can lead to serious health problems such as tooth loss or infection, which can lead to other serious illnesses like heart disease, stroke, or even death if left untreated for a long time.
- Wisdom teeth can also cause an abscess (a mass of pus) after they are removed if not removed properly. An abscess is a collection of pus that forms under the skin and it’s usually painful and swollen. If you have an abscess after wisdom teeth are removed, this could lead to an infection in the bone which can be very serious and even life-threatening.
- Avoid any and all acidic foods like oranges, tomatoes, and other acidic foods for the first few days after wisdom teeth are removed. If you feel that you have a sore mouth, then rinse with warm saltwater.
- Eat a healthy diet. The best way to eat after wisdom teeth removal is by eating a healthy diet that is rich in protein and calcium. You can eat things like yogurt, cheese, eggs, and fruits such as pineapple.
- Take it easy for the first few days after wisdom teeth are removed because your mouth will be sore and tender because of the surgery to remove them.
- Do not drink soda or anything else with high acid content in it (citrus juices, colas) for at least one week following the removal of the wisdom teeth because it may cause damage to your newly formed bone around your newly formed tooth sockets if you do so immediately post-surgery!
- After about two weeks from surgery (one week from the day of surgery), you should start to feel better and the pain should subside. You can start to drink carbonated beverages such as sodas, water, or juices.
- At this point, you can begin eating more foods that have high calcium and protein content. For example, if you are a vegetarian and eat eggs, you can start eating eggs again after two weeks from surgery.
- If your wisdom teeth had a lot of gum tissue attached to them (which is very common), then it is best to avoid chewing on hard foods for about three months after having your wisdom teeth removed because the bacteria in your mouth may cause an infection in your newly formed root canal tooth and mouth area where your new tooth will be placed!
It’s important to stay hydrated after your wisdom teeth removal surgery. Water is always a great choice. Consider adding lemon or lime for a delicious, refreshing beverage. Add a bit of ice to make it even more refreshing on a hot day. You can also have coffee, tea, milk, and cranberry juice. These are all healthy drinks that won’t dehydrate you like soda. If you are looking for an alternative to water, consider adding lemonade, iced tea, or fruit juice to your water. These options are full of flavor and can help you avoid sugar-laden drinks.