There are many ways to break into a house. But kicking in a door is probably the easiest way for anyone to do it. That’s why most burglars choose to kick the front, back, or side doors rather than try to break through windows or scale a wall. Fortunately, there are several ways you can further secure your doors so that no one can get in with just a few kicks. Here are some helpful tips on how you can make your door nearly impossible to kick in.
How To Secure A Door From Being Kicked In
1. Make sure all your doors have deadbolts. Deadbolts are great for securing the door because they are much harder to kick in than a regular lock. A deadbolt is much stronger than a normal lock and it is designed to withstand a lot of force. Make sure you use the longest screws possible so that they can go through the door, into the frame, and into the ground or wall behind it.
2. Install a security bar on your windows. A security bar is an easy way to prevent someone from being able to open a window from either side of it. It will also prevent them from breaking through the glass and reaching in for the lock inside. You might want to consider getting bars that can be locked into place so that you can open your window but no one else can get in through it when needed.
3. Get good locks for all your windows and sliding glass doors. Most people don’t think about securing their sliding glass doors because they are used to seeing them locked when they aren’t open, but any burglar knows that if he gets inside your home he will eventually find himself at one of these doors if there isn’t an easier way out of your house like a backdoor or window near him. Sliding glass doors with good locks will make it difficult for anyone who doesn’t have access to tools or keys.
4 . Choose strong, solid wood for all exterior doors. You may not think about it much, but the wood of your door can make a big difference if someone decides to kick in your door. You may want to choose a heavier wood like oak for the exterior of your door and lighter wood for the interior. This way, you can have the strength of a secure exterior without having to sacrifice any beauty.
5 . Make sure your doors are secure at all times. Even if you have all of these great security features on your doors, they won’t do much good if you don’t keep them locked when you aren’t using them. You might want to consider getting locks that automatically lock when you close the door and remain that way until someone unlocks them with a key or code. You should also make sure that everyone in your family knows how important it is that they keep all doors locked at all times so that no one will accidentally leave them open while they aren’t home or while they are out and about.
6. Install a burglar alarm. A burglar alarm is a great way to let your neighbors and the police know that someone might be breaking into your home at night when you aren’t there. You should consider getting a good alarm that actually sounds off when someone opens the door instead of just sending out alerts to some kind of monitoring center. This will give you more time to get home before anything can happen, and it will also make sure that you don’t have to pay any monthly monitoring fees because you are taking care of your own security.
Change Your Door’s Hinge Pins
- The first thing that you can do is to change your door’s hinge pins. This is a very easy thing to do and it’s also quite inexpensive. All you need to do is to remove the hinge pins and replace them with longer ones. Because of their length, the new pins will extend into the door frame when they are fastened, thus making it much more difficult for someone to kick in your door.
- If you have an older home with wooden doors, then this method may be all that you need for extra security. However, if your doors are made of metal or another hard material, then you can use additional methods for extra security.
- The second method involves bolting your door’s hinges directly into the frame of the house or wall surrounding it in order to prevent them from being kicked out of place by intruders. This method will work well if the hinges aren’t already bolted into place because it will make it almost impossible for someone to kick in your door without causing significant damage to either themselves or their foot!
- The third option involves installing a bar on top of your door that extends across its width and prevents anyone from kicking down the center of it when they try to force entry into your home through one of its doors or windows.
- If none of these methods are feasible for whatever reason, then perhaps using a thicker, sturdier type of wood for your doors would be better than using the thinner, more fragile varieties.
- Another option is to install a metal plate on the outside of your door jambs and then secure it with screws or bolts. This will make it almost impossible for intruders to kick in your door without destroying the plate first, which will make them look suspicious when neighbors see the damage that they’ve done to your home’s exterior.
Add A Metal Reinforcement Bar
- The first thing you can do is add a metal reinforcement bar to the lower half of your door. This is a sturdy metal bar that will prevent any part of the door from being kicked in. To do this, all you need to do is remove the hinge pins and replace them with longer ones. Then place the reinforcement bar between the hinges and hammer it into place.
- The second thing you can do is reinforce your door frame. This can be done by adding a metal plate at the bottom of the frame and hammering it into place.
- The third thing you can do is install a reinforced steel plate at the bottom of your door frame for extra security. These plates are made to fit perfectly into most doors, so it should be easy for you to find one that fits yours (you should be able to find one by searching online). Once you find such a plate, all you need to do is insert it into your door frame and secure it with screws or bolts on both sides of the frame.
- The fourth thing you can do is replace your current lock with one that has an anti-pry device or other similar features that make it hard for anyone to force their way in by using leverage against the lock itself. However, if you’re not comfortable doing this job yourself, then I suggest calling a locksmith instead.
- The fifth thing you can do is replace your current deadbolt with a reinforced one. This will make it harder for anyone to kick their way in.
Install An Electronic Lock On Your Door
- If you have a metal door, install an electronic lock on it. These locks are made of thick metal and they’re difficult to break through. They’re also easy to install and they don’t cost much money.
- If you have a wooden door, install an electronic lock as well as a metal reinforcement bar inside the frame of your door. This will make it very difficult for anyone to break through your door, even with a battering ram or crowbar.
- If you want to ensure that no one can get in by kicking, install two electronic locks on your doors – one on the top and one on the bottom – for added security.
- You can also improve the security of your doors by installing heavy-duty hinges and deadbolts in key areas such as outside gates or garage doors, back doors, and side entrances that might be vulnerable to being kicked in.
- Finally, if you have a sliding glass door into your home, consider installing steel bars across it or adding an alarm system so that no one can get in through it without setting off an alarm.
Home security is an important part of keeping your family and valuables safe. While it’s impossible to prevent all break-ins, there are several ways to make your doors more secure. From changing the hinge pins to installing a reinforced steel security door, there are plenty of modifications you can make to keep burglars out. And if they do get in, they’ll have a much harder time stealing your valuables.