When you suffer from frequent heartburn, it can make eating almost anything an uncomfortable and daunting prospect. Even something as simple as drinking water can be challenging if you’re prone to acid reflux. Thankfully, there are lots of things you can do to ease the symptoms of heartburn and reduce the likelihood that it will crop up again in the future. One such action is drinking more Sprite. Does Sprite help with heartburn? Well, read on to find out
Does Sprite Help With Heartburn?
Yes, Sprite does help with heartburn. With artificial sweeteners in it, it is hard for the body to break them down. One of these sweeteners is saccharin, which creates a jagged chemical shape in your stomach acidic. This chemical reaction then changes gastric physiological pH level. This change in pH level then causes you to have heartburn and indigestion.
Why Does Sprite Help With Heartburn?
It is Rich in Potassium
Heartburn can be caused by low levels of potassium in the body, which causes the muscles in the esophagus to contract and puts pressure on your stomach acid, causing it to backflow into your esophagus. The acid in your stomach is highly acidic, so drinking a lot of water will not help. As such, foods rich in potassium, like Sprite, are excellent sources of relief. Potassium is a mineral that your body needs for many different functions, including the ability to relax muscles. Soda is one of the few beverages that contain a high level of potassium. One can of cola actually has more potassium than a large banana! Potassium-rich foods are good for preventing cramps and leg cramps, and it is also helpful in treating high blood pressure.
It Is Low in Fat and Cholesterol
Heartburn is often triggered by high levels of acid in the stomach, which often leads to excess amounts of stomach acid. However, when you have excess stomach acid, it can cause the stomach to produce additional amounts of mucus, which is often the cause of heartburn symptoms. The best way to prevent excess stomach acid is by reducing the amount of fat and cholesterol in your diet. While there are many ways to do this, Sprite is one of the best beverages to drink if you are trying to avoid high levels of fat and cholesterol. Sprite is low in cholesterol, and it also contains very little fat. In fact, it only has less than a gram of fat per can. This low level of fat and cholesterol makes it a great choice if you are struggling with heartburn and are trying to reduce your stomach acid levels.
It Is Rich in Fructose
Fructose is a type of sugar that can be found in many fruits and vegetables. When you experience heartburn, your body becomes deficient in fructose, which makes it difficult to calm your stomach and digestive tract. As such, eating foods rich in fructose is a great way to battle heartburn and calm your system. While there are many foods that are high in fructose, Sprite contains a lot of this important sugar. If you are experiencing heartburn, it is a good idea to eat foods that are rich in fructose. This can help to calm your stomach and reduce the symptoms of heartburn.
It Is Low in Sugar
Let’s be clear, if you suffer from severe heartburn or GERD you should avoid eating and drinking anything with sugar, including soda. However, if you are having mild heartburn symptoms, you can actually drink a diet soda (like Sprite) to help reduce your symptoms. Diet sodas actually help to settle your stomach and calm your digestive system. Drinking a diet soda when you are experiencing mild heartburn can actually help to reduce your symptoms and make you feel better.
It Contains No Preservatives
Heartburn can be caused by many different factors, and one of these is the presence of preservatives in your food and beverages. As such, it is important to be aware of the foods you are eating and drinking and the preservatives that may be in them. For instance, if you drink a lot of coffee, you may be exposing yourself to lots of preservatives, which can increase your risk of heartburn and other digestive issues. If you are drinking coffee, try switching to Sprite, which contains no preservatives and is a much healthier alternative. This can help to reduce your risk of experiencing heartburn.
How To Use Sprite For Heartburn Relief?
Stay away from spicy and fatty food
Eating a balanced diet is the best way to prevent heartburn. But if you experience heartburn symptoms, you should avoid eating spicy and fatty foods as they can trigger more acid secretion in your stomach and worsen your condition. Try to eat more fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, legumes, and low-fat dairy products. You can also try other heartburn remedies before eating a meal like chewing some peppermint gum or drinking peppermint tea.
Drink a glass of water
Drinking water might seem like a strange suggestion when talking about heartburn, but it can actually be very helpful. It helps to lower the amount of acid in your stomach, which can help prevent heartburn. Drink a large glass of water about an hour before eating a meal. If you have heartburn during or after a meal, drinking water can help to dilute the amount of acid in your stomach, which can help to reduce heartburn symptoms.
Eat bland foods
Bland foods are gentle on your stomach, and they can be effective at treating heartburn. Try rice, lo mein, beans, potato, mashed potato, oatmeal, or a hot cereal like oat bran. Avoid fried or spicy foods to avoid worsening heartburn symptoms. If you experience heartburn after eating a meal, try eating bland foods like crackers or bread. You can also drink milk or eat a banana to help reduce heartburn.
Gargle with Sprite
Sprite is a carbonated beverage that is great at neutralizing stomach acid. It can be used as a mouthwash and can be effective against heartburn. Simply pour some sprite into a cup, swish it around in your mouth for 15 seconds and then spit it out. This can help reduce heartburn and is a cheap and easy natural remedy for heartburn. If you have a burning sensation in your mouth, you can also gargle with water and baking soda.
Try an over-the-counter heartburn medication
If you experience frequent heartburn, you may want to try an over-the-counter medication. Medications can be helpful in alleviating heartburn symptoms, but they are not recommended as a long-term solution. Over-the-counter medication includes antacids, H2 blockers, and proton pump inhibitors. Antacids work by neutralizing the acid in your stomach. H2 blockers and proton pump inhibitors are more effective, but they can also be more expensive.
Sprite Is A Natural Remedy For Heartburn
- Sprite is a carbonated beverage that contains a number of health benefits. They include being a source of vitamins B, C, and folic acid, being a natural diuretic, and aiding in digestion.
- While carbonated beverages are often viewed as a poor choice when it comes to treating heartburn, Sprite contains a number of ingredients that make it more than a suitable option.
- Sprite is naturally low in sugar and has a pH level of around 2.8, which is around the level that our stomach acid is at. This makes it an effective option for neutralizing excess stomach acid.
- Sprite also contains a number of ingredients that can help calm an upset stomach and ease the symptoms of heartburn. These include sodium, ascorbic acid, sodium bicarbonate, calcium, and caffeine.
Pros Of Drinking Sprite To Relieve Heartburn
- It’s a natural remedy – As we’ve discussed, Sprite is a naturally occurring product that contains little in the way of nasty chemicals or additives. This makes it a great choice for people who want to avoid medication but still want to find relief from the symptoms of heartburn.
- It works quickly – Because Sprite is naturally low in sugar and has a low pH level, it works very quickly to neutralize excess stomach acid.
- It’s a low-risk treatment – As we’ve also discussed, Sprite is a low-risk treatment option with few downsides. It won’t cause any lasting or serious side effects and can be used as often as is needed.
Cons Of Drinking Sprite To Relieve Heartburn
- It can be habit-forming – While Sprite is a low-risk treatment option, it can still be habit-forming. This means that you may find yourself relying on it too often, which can lead to additional health issues.
- It can’t be used long-term – While Sprite can be used to ease the symptoms of heartburn in the short term, it isn’t a long-term solution. You should try to make lifestyle changes that will reduce your chances of experiencing heartburn in the first place.
- It won’t treat the root cause – Earlier, we mentioned that heartburn is caused by excess stomach acid. While Sprite may neutralize that acid, it won’t do anything to stop it from being produced in the first place.
If you suffer from frequent heartburn, there are lots of things you can do to reduce the likelihood that it will crop up again. One such action is drinking Sprite, a naturally low-sugar carbonated beverage that has a pH level of around 2.8, making it an effective option for neutralizing excess stomach acid. Sprite is a great choice for people who want to avoid medication but still want to find relief from the symptoms of heartburn.