Antarctica is a land that many people think of as an inaccessible place. But according to some, it’s not so hard to get to. In fact, there are a few ways to get there without having to go through the trouble of traveling. For example, you can fly to Australia and spend your vacation there. Or, you could take a cruise to Antarctica and see it from a different perspective. There are also travel agencies that offer special trips to Antarctica that include all the necessary supplies and equipment for an AWESOME experience!
Is It Illegal To Go to Antarctica?
Let’s start with the no: it is definitely not illegal to go to Antarctica. There are no laws against visiting the land of ice, so long as you do not trespass on military bases or other restricted areas, nor do you have to pay a fee to visit. The only thing that could stop you from visiting is that your passport might be expired.
What Is Antarctica?
Antarctica is the southernmost continent, located in the southern hemisphere of Earth. It is surrounded by the Southern Ocean and extends more than 5 million km from the South Pole to about 1,000 km north of the Antarctic Circle. The continent is renowned for its vast amounts of frozen wilderness, which makes it a popular destination for travelers from all over the world.
How To Get To Antarctica?
In order to visit Antarctica, you have to plan ahead. There are many ways of getting to the Antarctic continent, but among the most popular ones are:
- By plane: The most common way of getting to Antarctica is by plane. Many airlines offer flights from various parts of the world. However, as you can imagine, there is not a direct flight from your city to Antarctica. Therefore, if you want to visit this part of the world, you will have to make some stops along the way. For example, if you fly from New York City or Los Angeles to Sydney or Buenos Aires respectively and then on to Ushuaia in Argentina, then on to Punta Arenas in Chile, and then on to Antarctica by boat (Antarctic Cruises), it will take about 30 hours or more. You can also fly directly from your city’s airport in South America (for example Santiago) and take an airplane that flies directly from there straight into Ushuaia.
- By cruise ship: If you want to visit Antarctica, but don’t want to deal with the long flight, then you can opt for a cruise ship. The most popular cruise ships that visit Antarctica are the ones that go from South America and Australia. Although these cruises are considered to be quite expensive (from $10,000 for a seven-day trip), they allow you to see several parts of the continent and make it possible for you to stay in different cities during your journey. For example, on one such cruise from Ushuaia in Argentina, passengers can stay in Punta Arenas in Chile or at some other stop along the way.
- By boat: You can also choose to fly and arrive by boat instead of flying directly from your city’s airport to Ushuaia. The most popular way of doing this is by flying first into Buenos Aires in Argentina and then on to Ushuaia by boat. If you are looking for a more expensive option, however, then there are also cruises that go directly from Ushuaia to Antarctica.
- By train: One of the most popular ways of getting to Antarctica is by train. You can choose to travel by rail from your city’s hub for example Sydney or Buenos Aires and then take a train that goes directly to Ushuaia in Argentina. You can also fly directly from your city’s hub and then take a bus or train across South America (for example Santiago in Chile) and on to Ushuaia.
- By car: If you want to drive to Antarctica, then there are several ways for you to do this. You can drive from your city’s hub (for example Sydney or Buenos Aires) to Ushuaia in Argentina and then on to Antarctica. The highway through Chile is also the road that you take on your way. Alternatively, if you choose to fly directly from your city’s airport into Ushuaia, then you can drive directly from there and onto Antarctica.
- By plane and by boat: A trip by plane and a trip by boat are usually combined together in one tour package. For example, if you fly first into Buenos Aires in Argentina or Sydney or Los Angeles and then set off by boat on a seven-day cruise that goes straight to Ushuaia in Argentina, then it will be possible for you to visit both Antarctica as well as South America (Argentina).
- By train: Another way of going to Antarctica is by train. You can choose to travel by train from your city’s hub (for example Sydney or Buenos Aires) and then take a train that goes directly to Ushuaia in Argentina.
What Is Some Risk Of Going To Antarctica?
- Air: Antarctica is a continent that has no land borders, so it is difficult for travelers to get there. The nearest land to Antarctica is South America and there are no airports that allow people to fly directly into Antarctica. For example, there are no airports in Argentina or Chile that allow people to fly directly into Antarctica. The closest airport is Ushuaia in Argentina, which is nearly 1,000 km (600 miles) from the edge of the Antarctic continent.
- Water: There aren’t any rivers or seas that connect Antarctica with other continents, so it is difficult for people to get there by boat. For example, if you want to go by boat from South America (for example Buenos Aires or Santiago) then you will have to travel across the Drake Passage. This sea passage connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean and it can sometimes be very rough and dangerous. On top of this, the water temperature in this part of the world can be very cold, so it is dangerous for people to travel there.
- Road: Most people who want to go to Antarctica travel there by road. This is because the continent has no land borders and there are only a few ways that you can get from one part of the continent to another. For example, if you want to go from one side of Antarctica to another, then you will have to travel by road. The only land borders between Antarctica and other continents are in Chile and Australia. There are no roads that connect Antarctica with these two countries, which means that travelers have to cover a very long distance by road before they can get on a plane and fly into Antarctica.
- Rail: Very few people travel by rail when they go to Antarctica. This is because most airports in South America (for example Buenos Aires or Santiago) don’t allow passengers on board if they do not have an airline ticket that was bought in advance (for example a ticket bought on the day of travel). This means that you will need to buy a ticket at least a few days in advance in order to travel. Because of this, very few people travel by rail when they go to Antarctica.
- Truck: Although there are no roads or railways that connect Antarctica with other continents, there are still ways that people can go there. For example, you can use the Trans-Antarctic Highway. This is a road that connects the coast of Antarctica with the coast of New Zealand and it is 1,800 km (1,100 miles) long. The Trans-Antarctic Highway is one way: if you drive from one side of the highway to another then you cannot drive back again on the same road (for example if you drove from one side then drove back, then you would have driven around the world). However, there are many places where cars can be parked on both sides of this highway (for example at some points along the way). These are called rest stops and there are about 30 of these throughout the length of the highway.
Antarctic travel is definitely a popular topic of discussion, and there are a lot of different ways to get there. If you’re thinking about going, here are some things to keep in mind!