When it comes to weight loss and healthy eating, many of us immediately think of cutting calories, avoiding fats or carbs, or that old mantra of five-a-day. But what if there was another way to shed those pounds and keep them off? A recent study found that walking after a meal is more effective for weight loss than walking before eating. The findings suggest that the order in which you eat and exercise can have an impact on weight loss. However, different people will have different results depending on their individual circumstances. Let’s find out why…
Is it better to walk before or after eating?
The study found that walking after a meal is more effective for weight loss than walking before eating. However, different people will have different results depending on their individual circumstances. Let’s find out why is it better to walk before or after eating? short answer, it depends.
What Is The Best Time To Walk For Weight Loss?
Walking After a Meal
Walking after a meal can help you burn more fat and calories. Researchers found that people who walked for 30 minutes after eating lost more weight and fat than those who walked before eating. Walking after a meal also helps improve blood sugar levels and reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Walking Before a Meal
Walking before a meal can help you burn more calories and lose weight, but it may not be as effective as walking after a meal. Walking before a meal can also help reduce appetite and make you feel fuller, so you end up eating less.
Walking at Any Time
Walking at any time is good for your health. It can help you lose weight, improve your mood, and reduce stress levels. Walking is also a great way to get some exercise if you’re short on time or if you don’t like going to the gym.
Why Does The Order You Eat And Exercise Matter?
- The study found that walking after a meal helps the body to better process and metabolize glucose, which can lead to weight loss. Walking before a meal, on the other hand, does not have the same effect.
- This is likely because walking after a meal helps to increase your metabolism and burn off calories that would otherwise be stored as fat. Walking before a meal, on the other hand, does not give your body this boost.
- So, if you’re looking to lose weight, make sure to walk after your meals. And if you’re looking for an extra edge, try walking uphill or adding some light weights to your walk.
The Benefits Of Walking After A Meal
Walking Aids Digestion
Walking is a light form of exercise that can help to speed up the digestive process. This is because it helps to move food through the digestive system and can also help to relieve constipation. Walking also helps to burn calories, which can lead to weight loss.
Walking Reduces Blood Sugar Levels
Walking after a meal can help to reduce blood sugar levels. This is because it helps the body to better process and uses insulin, which is a hormone that helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Walking can also help to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Walking Boosts Metabolism
Walking can help to boost your metabolism, which is the rate at which your body burns calories. A higher metabolism means that you will burn more calories, even when you are at rest. This can lead to weight loss over time.
Walking Helps To Control Appetite
Walking can help to control your appetite by making you feel fuller for longer. This is because walking helps to slow down the emptying of the stomach, which can help to control hunger and cravings.
Walking Is Good For Your Heart
Walking is good for your heart health. This is because it helps to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels, which can reduce the risk of heart disease.
Walking Is Free And Easy
Walking is a free and easy form of exercise that you can do anywhere, at any time. All you need is a good pair of shoes and you’re good to go.
The Benefits Of Walking Before A Meal
- Boosts your metabolism: Walking is a great way to increase your metabolism and burn calories. When you walk before eating, your body is able to use up some of the calories from the food you’re about to consume. This can help you to lose weight in the long term.
- Reduces your appetite: Walking can help to reduce your appetite and make you feel fuller before a meal. This is because walking helps to release hormones that regulate hunger and fullness.
- Prevents overeating: If you’re trying to avoid overeating, walking before a meal can be helpful. This is because it gives you time to assess your hunger levels and decide how much food you really need.
- Improves blood sugar levels: Walking before a meal can help to regulate your blood sugar levels. This is especially important if you have diabetes or prediabetes.
When Is It Better To Walk Before Eating?
- If you have diabetes or prediabetes, walking before meals can help to lower your blood sugar levels.
- If you have an existing heart condition, walking before meals can help to lower your blood pressure and improve your cardiovascular health.
- If you are trying to lose weight, walking before meals can help you to burn more calories and reduce your appetite.
- If you are pregnant, walking before meals can help to improve your blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of gestational diabetes.
From the findings above, it seems that walking after a meal is better for weight loss. This is because it increases the levels of fat-burning hormones and blood flow to the muscles. Before you decide on one form of exercise over another, it’s important to remember that these are just theories. It’s important to note, however, that timing is not everything. What’s more important is eating a healthy balanced diet and exercising regularly. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, it’s important to focus on the long-term. Once you’ve reached your goal weight, it’s important to maintain that weight through healthy eating and exercise.