Did you know that when you get braces, your face changes? It’s true! When orthodontic treatment begins, a person’s entire appearance can change drastically. The jawline is reshaped, the cheeks are lifted and the nose gets a brand new look. How does all of this happen? Keep reading to learn more about how braces change your face. Whether you’re embarking on an orthodontic journey for yourself or for your child, it is normal to have questions about how braces may impact your appearance. For example, do braces change your face? In most cases, yes! There are several different benefits that come with getting braces and undergoing an orthodontic treatment plan.
Do braces change your face?
braces work by moving teeth into the correct positions and can result in a number of different changes to your facial features. The jawline is reshaped, the cheeks are lifted and the nose gets a brand new look.
What Do Braces Change?
1. The Jawline
When braces are put on, the orthodontist will take measurements of your jawline. From here, they will create a treatment plan that will reshape your jawline. This is a very important step in the orthodontic process because it can improve the look of your face overall.
2. The Chin
Braces can also change the position of your chin. If your chin is too high or too low, braces can help to correct this. Over time, this can help to improve the appearance of your face as well as increase your confidence.
3. The Cheeks
If you have an overly protruding cheekbone, braces may be able to help to correct this. By lifting the cheeks and giving them a more defined shape, braces can give you a more youthful appearance.
4. The Nose
The nose is one area where braces can have a significant impact on your overall appearance. When braces are put on, they can push the nose back and give it a more refined look. This can help to improve the overall appearance of your face and make you look more attractive.
5. The Eyes
Braces can also change the shape of your eyes. If they are too close together or if they are too wide apart, braces may be able to help to correct this. By reshaping your eyes, braces can help to improve your vision as well as your appearance.
Brace Face Changes: Chins And Jaws
- The jawline is reshaped. The orthodontist will use a series of brackets to move teeth closer to each other. This will change the width and shape of the jawline.
- The cheeks are lifted. This is done by moving the teeth further away from the gum line and pushing up on the cheekbones. This procedure can also help correct a “saddle nose” or “moon face”.
- The nose gets a brand new look. Orthodontists use a variety of techniques to correct crooked teeth and correct jaw position, which can cause the nose to tilt or bow outwards.
- The chin can also be reshaped. This is done by moving the lower jawbone (mandible) forward or backward. This change can make your chin appear broader or narrower, and may help reduce the appearance of a “double chin”.
- Finally, the teeth may be moved slightly to the front or back of their original position. This can change the way your smile looks and can improve your overall appearance.
Brace Face Changes: Cheeks And Nose
- The jawline can be reshaped. When braces are put on, the teeth move closer together and this changes the angle of your jawline.
- The cheeks can be lifted. The brackets and wires that are used to hold your teeth in place push your cheeks up and forward. This makes your face look thinner and more angular.
- The nose can be reshaped. Orthodontic treatment can move the teeth and bones in your nose in a different direction which can change the shape of your nose.
- The teeth can be moved closer together and the space between your teeth can be reduced. This can change the look of your smile and make your jaws look straighter.
- The appearance of your teeth can be improved. When braces are put on, the teeth can be moved in a number of different directions which can change their appearance.
- You may need to have multiple adjustments over the course of your treatment. As your teeth move and change, the brackets and wires that are holding them in place may need to be adjusted.
- Your orthodontist will be able to tell you exactly how braces will change your face. It is important to have an honest dialogue with your orthodontist about your expectations for the treatment and how you would like your smile to look.
Other Changes That Come With Braces
- A reshaped jawline – This is one of the most common benefits of braces. When orthodontic treatment begins, the dentist or orthodontist will use a series of wires and brackets to move your teeth into the correct positions. This can cause your jawline to change dramatically.
- Lifted cheeks – When braces are fitted, the dentist or orthodontist will often move your upper and lower teeth out of alignment. This can cause your cheeks to lift out of their normal position, giving you a more youthful appearance.
- A new nose – Another common benefit of braces is a new nose. Orthodontic treatment can realign the teeth and bones in your nose, which can give you a more straight and symmetrical nose.
- Improved facial symmetry – When braces are fitted, your dentist or orthodontist can often improve facial symmetry. This means that your features will line up more evenly on both the left and right sides of your face.
- Improved chewing and speaking abilities – One of the most significant benefits of braces is improved chewing and speaking abilities. When your teeth are in the right positions, your jaws will be able to move more freely and you will be able to speak better.
- Improved appearance – Finally, one of the most significant benefits of braces is improved appearance. When your teeth are in the right positions, you will no longer have to worry about crooked teeth or poor chewing ability.
There are many ways in which braces can change your appearance. They can cause a change in dental color, a change in bite, and a reshaped face. It is important to remember that these changes are only short-term. Once your braces have been removed, you will have a new, improved smile that is worthy of showing off. It is important to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth clean while you are wearing braces. This will help to prevent dental disease and halitosis, which can be caused by food being trapped in the teeth and gums.