Everyone loves a circle, and it’s no wonder! It’s easy to recognize, easy to draw, and is the perfect shape for almost anything. But do you know how to make one? If not, here are some quick tips that will help you create your own circular masterpiece.
How To Make A Picture A Circle
First, you need to decide how wide you want your circle to be. You can draw the circle at any size you want, but it’s usually easiest to draw a circle that is about the same size as your picture.
Next, you need to decide what shape your picture will be. Here are some common circular shapes:
- Draw your circles in pencil or colored pencil on paper and erase any unnecessary lines (for example, if you’re drawing a square or rectangle).
- When you’re done drawing your first circle, erase all of the lines and add guidelines on top of it so that it looks like a perfect circle when finished (see below). The guidelines are usually drawn with a ruler or straight edge and can be thick or thin depending on what looks best.
- Use the guidelines to draw another perfect circle over them (like in step 1). If they don’t line up perfectly, use tape to hold them together.
- After you have a circle that looks perfect, fill it in with color or pencil marks.
- Then erase all of the guidelines and any lines from your final drawing so that no part of your picture is showing through (see below).
- Lastly, draw a new circle over the top of your picture to make sure that it fits perfectly inside the other circle (see below). If it’s not perfect, erase the guidelines and redraw them onto a new piece of paper. Then you can use tape to hold this piece together and draw another circle over top of it until it fits perfectly inside your original one (see below).
- Finally, erase all of the lines and guidelines from your picture so that they’re gone forever! Try not to leave any marks on the picture itself because they will be hard to erase later!
Creating A Circle In Photoshop
Create a new document. I created a 300×300 px document, but you can make yours whatever size you want.
Create a new layer and fill the layer with black (#000000).
Select the Elliptical Marquee Tool (or the Lasso Tool) and pick a shape that is a circle (see image below). I picked an ellipse because it’s quicker to create, but if you know how to use the Lasso Tool, then use it.
Go to Edit>Transform>Scale and resize your shape by dragging one of the sides inwards. If your shape is too big, scale it down by dragging its top right corner downwards or its bottom-left corner upwards. You can also scale it along the diagonal lines if they are pointing towards each other (see image below).
Select all layers of your circle using Ctrl+A and then go to Layer> Merge Visible to join all the layers into one.
Select the Appearance Palette and change your circle to a square.
Select the Eraser Tool (or select the Brush Tool if you have Photoshop CS4 or later) and erase any part of your square that you don’t like, leaving only the part that is a circle.
Making A Circle In Gimp
- Create a circle on the screen with the Pen Tool.
- Select the Ellipse Tool, then click and drag to create a circle on your screen.
- Select the Rectangle Tool, then click and drag to create a rectangle on your screen. The rectangle will be as long as you want it to be and as wide as you want it to be, but it will have rounded corners.
- Select the Rounded Rectangle Tool, then click and drag to create a rounded rectangle on your screen (or select the Ellipse Tool again). Your rectangle should now have rounded corners too!
- Select the Pencil Tool, press Ctrl-Shift-P and draw a straight line from corner to corner of your rectangle (in one direction only).
- Press Ctrl-Shift-P again, this time draw two lines from opposite corners of your rectangle (in two directions).
- Press Ctrl-Shift-P once more and draw a line from the center of your rectangle to the opposite side. Your circle is now complete!
Use Circles In Your Artwork
- Circles are a very powerful shape in art. You can create a lot of different shapes with them and they can be used to represent the whole world, from religious symbols to abstract art.
- Circles can be used in all sorts of artwork, from paintings to sketches and even photographs.
- They are a very simple shape that is easy to draw, but they can also look complicated when you add texture and shading around them
- It’s not the easiest thing to draw a circle, but if you practice drawing circles often enough it will become easier for you
- People love circles! They are so easy to recognize and so simple to draw that there is no reason not to use them in your artwork!
Different Types Of Circles And Their Uses
Standard circles are used to create simple shapes and are also used to create a sense of depth in your artwork. They can be used for a simple border, as the main shape of an object, or even as the main shape of an entire picture! Your standard circles will be quite small, but they can be filled with details and color to make them look more detailed!
Round circles are used for many different purposes, including creating the main shape of a picture, filling in blank spaces in your artworks, and even making the outline of objects! These will all look very similar; smallish circles with rounded edges that can be filled in with details and color!
Oval circles are great for creating large objects that need an outline and some detail on top of it! These will look like two or three large circles that have been merged together to make a new shape! These are great for filling in large blank spaces, especially when you want to create a shape that is symmetrical!
Elliptical circles are used for making rough outlines of objects or filling in blank spaces. They can also be used to help outline different shapes within your artwork! They can be filled in with details and color as well, but they will look very similar to oval circles.
Composite circles are used to help create a rough outline around an object, or to fill in blank space! They can be filled in with details and color, but they will look very similar to oval circles.
Circular elliptical circles are used for creating shapes that have a circular shape within them! This will create a shape that looks like it has two or more sections, but is actually made up of only one! These will also look very similar to ellipse circles; smallish circle with rounded edges that can be filled in with details and color!
Circular triangles are used to create shapes that have a triangular shape within them! These will look very similar to ellipse circles; smallish circles with rounded edges that can be filled in with details and color!
Circular squares are used for creating shapes that have a square shape within them! These will look very similar to ellipse circles; smallish circles with rounded edges that can be filled in with details and color!
The circle is the most basic shape in the world, but it is also one of the most powerful. It has been used as a symbol of eternity, harmony, and unity in many cultures. Circles are found in nature, throughout mathematics and architecture, and have also been used for thousands of years as a symbol for the divine. This guide will teach you how to draw a circle and will also provide tips on how to use circles in your artwork.