When it comes to hiring a housecleaning service, all companies are not created equally. It is important that you take some time to do your research and find what works for your busy family. To help you kick-start your research, here are some tips for finding a quality cleaning company:
Ask About Their Services
Start by making a list of cleaning companies in your area. Once you are finished with your list, give them a call or browse their website to learn about the services they offer. Keep in mind that a routine cleaning may not include every service that you are looking for. This is why it is a good idea to do your research first so you know what you can expect. Here is a look at the types of services that are generally included in a routine cleaning:
• Vacuuming and mopping throughout the home
• Making beds
• Deep cleaning kitchens and bathrooms
• Dusting baseboards, light fixtures, countertops and other surfaces
Routine Cleaning vs. Deep Cleaning
A deep clean of your home will typically cost more than a routine cleaning. If you are looking to have your home deep cleaned, make sure you know what types of services are included as part of the deep cleaning. You can help control these costs by limiting the services to certain areas of the home. For instance, if you know that your bathroom and kitchen are the only areas of the home that require deep cleaning, you can limit that service to those two areas.
In addition to routine cleaning services, the cleaning company may offer various a la carte services for an additional fee. This often includes tasks like the cleaning of refrigerators, ovens, leather furniture or cabinets.
Determine How Often You Need Services
Once you have identified the services you would like, the next step is to figure out how often you want those services performed. The frequency of services will depend largely on your budget and household needs. If there are small children in the home, you may opt to have your home cleaned weekly. Similarly, if you travel frequently for work or leisure, you may opt to have your home cleaned on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. If you are not sure which option works best for you, consider starting with bi-weekly services and then modifying the schedule as necessary.
There are lots of factors that influence the cost of housecleaning services. These factors can include things like:
• Type of products being used. Certain housecleaning services specialize in using specific types of products. In recent years, green cleaning products have become increasingly popular. These child-safe, eco-friendly cleaning solutions may come at a premium cost to homeowners. Other companies may require that the client provide the cleaning products and equipment. These companies may charge less since they do not incur the expense of buying cleaning products.
• Size of your home. Many housecleaning companies charge based on the size of the house being cleaned. Some companies measure the size of the house in square footage while others measure it in the number of rooms in the home or apartment.
• Location. The area where you live may also influence the cost of housecleaning.
Individual Cleaners vs. Large Cleaning Companies
The final consideration before choosing a cleaning company is to determine whether you want an individual cleaner or a large company. Individual cleaners run their own cleaning businesses but may not be licensed in your state. Rates for their services are generally lower and their cleaning services are similar to what you would expect from a large cleaning company. With that said, if an individual housecleaner becomes ill or has a personal emergency, they are less likely to have backups to continue services for that session.
Employees of large cleaning companies are generally bonded and licensed. While they may charge more for their services, homeowners have recourse if they are not satisfied with the cleaning job. If an employee of a large cleaning company becomes ill or has an emergency, a large cleaning company is more likely to have backup cleaners available to take their place.
Choosing a quality cleaning company may seem intimidating at first, but it does not have to be. These simple tips will have you well on your way to choosing the right cleaning service for your family.