3 Crucial Things to Know About Electrical Safety Devices

0
896

Electricity is found everywhere nowadays.  Even if you simply rub a balloon on your cotton shirt, you will notice some small form of electricity when you touch your pal, and it shocks the two of you.  In the home, electricity has become a normal part of daily life. Since there is so much electricity inside the home, it is important to have safety devices or the electricity to prevent electrocution or even fire.  Even industrial electricity has safety devices to prevent these problems.  In this article, you will find major things to know about electrical safety devices and how they keep you safe.

Prevention of Excessive Current

One  major  safety  device  that  prevents  a  circuit  from  having  an  excessive  current  is  a  fuse.  The  fuse  works  by  destroying  itself  when  there  happens  to  be  an  overload  condition.  If  you’ve  ever  had  too  many  things  running  in  an  outlet  and  threw  a  breaker,  it  is  the  same  concept.  Fuses  are  easy  and  cheap  to  install,  but  they  are  destroyed  upon  an  overload.

You  should  note  that  once  a  fuse  has  blown,  you  need  to  replace  that  fuse  right  away.  There  are  a  few  tips  that  you  should  remember  when  trying  to  install  and  maintain  fuses  in  your  home.  One,  fuses  should  never  be  replaced  with  a  larger  fuse  since  it  might  let  in  too  much  current  and  become  a  fire  hazard.  This  problem  is  similar  when  replacing  the  fuse  with  a  smaller  option,  and  it  might  prevent  the  normal  operation.  You  should  never  use  anything  but  a  fuse  to  replace  the  fuse  because  of  the  fire  issue.

It  is  helpful  to  keep  extra  fuses  of  the  right  size  around  in  the  home  to  quickly  replace  the  blown  a  fuse.  You  should  also  know  exactly  where  your  fuse  box  is  in  case  you  need  to  check  or  change  a  fuse.  Before  you  go  to  change  the  fuse,  turn  everything  off  and  unplug  any  items  because  the  replacement  fuse  will  immediately  be  destroyed  due  to  the  high  current.

Opening the Circuit

Like  a  fuse,  the  circuit  breaker  prevents  an  overload  of  current,  but  the  breaker  is  not  destroyed.  The  example  mentioned  above  with  plugging  in  too  many  items  might  cause  an  overload  of  current  and  throw  the  breaker.  It  is  then  your  job  to  unplug  any  items,  go  to  the  breaker  box,  and  flip  the  switch  again.  Circuit  breakers  work  by  opening  the  circuit  to  prevent  the  overload  from  occurring.  It  also  helps  prevent  any  damage  associated  with  overload,  like  a  fire.

There  are  three  different  kinds  of  circuit  breakers:  thermal,  thermomagnetic,  and  magnetic.  The  thermal  circuit  breaker  will  respond  to  any  excessive  heat  that  is  generated  during  the  overloading  current.  The  thermomagnetic  response  to  both  a  magnetic  field  and  the  heat  that  is  generated  during  this  overload.  This  can  be  an  equivalent  to  a  slow  blow  fuse.  The  magnetic  circuit  breaker  responds  to  the  magnetic  field  that  is  generated  during  the  overloading  process.

Preventing Electrocution

In  areas  of  the  home  where  water  can  come  in  contact  with  the  plug,  there  are  certain  measures  that  must  be  taken  to  prevent  electrocution.  That  is  why  the  ground  fault  circuit  interrupter,  or  the  GFCI,  is  mandatory  in  kitchens  and  bathrooms.  These  are  put  in  place  to  help  prevent  electrocution  should  water  come  in  contact  with  the  electrical  outlet  where  the  electric  current  is  moving.  The  GFCI  works  by  pushing  the  electric  current  out  of  the  outlet  and  into  the  wall  socket  instead  of  going  through  an  individual  to  hit  the  ground.  Since  water  and  plumping  are  ample  paths  to  the  ground,  this  electrical  safety  device  must  be  installed.

One  should  always  exercise  caution  when  using  any  electrical  devices  near  the  bathtub  or  the  sinks  in  your  home.  These  are  important  features,  but  the  GFCI  shouldn’t  be  relied  on  since  it  is  a  last  minute  resort.  You  can  always  test  your  GFCI  by  pushing  the  “test”  button  on  the  outlet.  It  turns  off  the  electricity  to  prevent  someone  from  getting  electrocuted.  You  can  test  it  by  plugging  in  a  nightlight  and  pushing  the  button.  If  the  light  turns  off,  then  the  GFCI  is  still  in  working  condition.  If the light doesn’t turn off, the outlet should be replaced right away.

SHARE
Previous article8 Advantages of Buying Your First Car Used
Next articleHow to Find a Quality Criminal Defense Attorney
Kevin Schultz is a professional journalist with over 15 years of writing and media experience. He is a full-time contributor to the Themocracy Online News Blog and his insightful writing has been enjoyed by thousands.